Robert Murat has settled a claim for damages with a number of British newspapers over allegations of his involvement in the Madeleine McCann inquiry.
Mr Murat will be in the High Court in London on Thursday to receive apologies from the newspapers.
Sky’s crime correspondent Martin Brunt said Mr Murat has settled with the lawyers of eight newspapers.
It is believed however that he was looking to sue 10 publications.
Brunt added that Mr Murat was expecting to get a number of apologies read out in court.
“I’m told there was speculation about a figure of £2m he was claiming,” Brunt said.
“As I understand it, he’s expecting to get £250,000 to £500,000.”
It was widely considered at the time that this was one of the biggest ever libel claims.
Newspapers both in Portugal and Britain wrote many articles about Mr Murat when he became the first ‘arguido’ – or suspect – in the case of Madeleine’s disappearance.
He was hauled in by Portuguese policemen, spoken to and questioned for about 17 hours before being released.
He vehemently denied any involvement and was quite taken aback by the newspaper speculation coverage of his alleged involvement.
Apart from allegations of him being involved, there were lurid allegations written about him and his private life.
Madeleine disappeared on May 3, 2007, days before her fourth birthday.
She had been left sleeping in a holiday apartment as her parents Kate and Gerry dined with friends in a nearby tapas bar in the resort of Praia da Luz in southern Portugal.